Kapten Enbär - Review (Discontinued). 4 November 2015.

NOTE:  This product has been discontinued and is no longer for sale.

I use a lot of Göteborgs Rapé and one of the questions I get asked most often is what product I would use if GR were to be discontinued. Kapten Enbär is usually my answer. It's probably the best non-GR product on the market, in my opinion. I've been revisiting the Kapten line over the past few weeks, and though it's been 3 years since I originally reviewed this, I've used it here and there for quite some time. Kapten is AG Snus's flagship line; a majority of their products fall under the Kapten label. AG Snus describes Kapten as "a novel snus, but the development has been based on the knowhow acquired by 5 generations’ experience manufacturing snus. Kapten is a truly traditional snus, but the taste has been given a modern twist making Kapten a snus of this century." The flavor description for this product says, "Kapten Enbär White is a truly traditional snus with a taste of juniper berry, but the taste has been given a modern twist." This product comes in a a 16.8 gram can with 24 portions for 0.7 gram portions. The nicotine strength is 10mg/g (1.0%) which breaks down to 7mg/portion.

When I open the can, the first thing I usually notice is a present smell of juniper. In the background there's a light floral sweetness, a little pepper, and something that I always notice in the aroma and taste that not everyone seems to notice - hops. I'm a big fan of IPAs, so I love hops. For some reason with this snus, I always notice hops in the aroma and the taste. Being a Kapten product, the portions are nice and plump; they feel much bigger than 0.7 grams! The portion material is soft and these feel great in the lip. The flavor is a lot like the aroma. The flavor of juniper is very present along with a light herbal taste, gentle floral notes, and a touch of pepper. Like the aroma, I also seem to notice a taste of hops in the flavor profile, as well. The nicotine strength feels to be at the regular strength level. The flavor lasts a solid amount of time; I notice with most Kapten white portion products I can enjoy them for up to an hour!

As I said before, if GR suddenly vanished from the market, this would easily be my replacement for that product.  It's a great tasting snus!

Comments